*** NOTICE: NID recreational facilities temporarily close in the Tahoe National Forest ***
(August 31) – The United States Forest Service (USFS) has issued a new order, extending existing forest closures until Sept. 17. As a result, all NID campgrounds and recreational facilities in the Tahoe National Forest (TNF) will be closed during this period.
Taking extra precautions against fire risks and drought, USFS announced a temporary closure of the TNF earlier in the month. The original order was from Aug. 22 – Sept. 6. After evaluating the dangerous conditions, the new order extends closures until Sept. 17. The forest may re-open on Sept. 18.
NID’s closed recreational facilities include campgrounds at the following locations:
- East Meadows
- Pass Creek
- Pass Creek Overflow
- Aspen Group
- Fir Tip
- Jackson Creek
- Canyon Creek
Additional closures include:
- All boat launches and day use areas in the TNF
- All dispersed camp area throughout the Bowman Corridor
Note: Findley and Fir Top Campgrounds will remain closed for the remainder of the season.
*** *** ****
NID provides outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities at District reservoirs in the foothills and mountains of the Northern Sierra.
Sierra Foothill Recreation
Camping, fishing, swimming, sunning, boating, water skiing, sailing, kayaking and other activities are popular at both Rollins and Scotts Flat reservoirs in the Sierra foothills. Day use parks, campgrounds and beaches are operated by the District and in some cases by private operators under contract with NID.
Scotts Flat lake is situated among the tall pines at the 3100-foot elevation nine miles east of Nevada City via Highway 20 and Scotts Flat Road. It offers 169 campsites at two large campgrounds, plus a group camp. Across the lake, accessible via Red Dog and Quaker Hill Roads from Nevada City, is the Cascade Shores Day Use Area.
Scotts Flat is a popular spot for swimming, boating and water skiing
Rollins lake, located at the 2100-foot elevation off Highway 174 between Grass Valley and Colfax, has four independently operated campgrounds. Long Ravine, Greenhorn, Orchard Springs and Peninsula offer a combined 250 campsites and a complete range of services including stores, restaurants, fuel sales and rentals.
User fees at the public recreation areas are set by the NID Board of Directors and must be approved by the state departments of Water Resources and Fish & Game.
Sierra Mountain Campgrounds
In the mountains, NID maintains and operates campgrounds and recreational facilities in the Jackson Meadows – Bowman lake areas. Jackson Meadows features several campgrounds, picnic day use sites and boat ramps. Other campgrounds are located at Bowman, Canyon Creek, Sawmill and Faucherie Lakes in the Bowman corridor.
The primary recreation season in the high mountain areas generally runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day, depending on snow levels and weather.
Recreation Office Information
We are located at the Scotts Flat Lake Campgrounds
23333 Scotts Flat Road
Nevada City, CA 95959
Administration: (530) 265-8861
- NID Easter Egg Hunt Orchard Springs
- No Motor Day Scott’s Flat Lake– May
- 6th Annual NID Kids’ Triathlon Orchard Springs – canceled for 2021
- BSM (Barbara Schmidt Millar) Triathlon Cascade Shores – virtual duathlon in 2021
PLEASE NOTE: Fire restrictions may be imposed due to weather condition, PSPS events, power outages or poor air quality, at which time, campfires and charcoal fires will not be permitted. In severe cases, propane use may be restricted as well.*
Please see new COVID19 guidelines for camping and day use:
- If you are sick please stay home, you will receive a full refund
- Only one household should occupy each campsite.
- Do not congregate in other campsites, campers must stay to their own site
- Visitors should keep their face masks nearby, especially in the day use areas
- Maintain 6ft of distance from non-household members
- Playgrounds and store will be closed
- We will sell ice and wood at our gate houses
- Fuel will be sold at Long Ravine and Scotts Flat
- Bathrooms will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day
- Bring hand sanitizer