Drought and Fire Safety: We are in a drought! The forests are dry and the reservoirs are at lower levels. To protect our forests and community, we have fire controls in place and ask for your adherence to them.
NID provides outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities at District reservoirs in the foothills and mountains of the Northern Sierra.
Sierra Foothill Recreation
Camping, fishing, swimming, sunning, boating, water skiing, sailing, kayaking and other activities are popular at both Rollins and Scotts Flat reservoirs in the Sierra foothills. Day use parks, campgrounds and beaches are operated by the District and in some cases by private operators under contract with NID.
Scotts Flat lake is situated among the tall pines at the 3100-foot elevation nine miles east of Nevada City via Highway 20 and Scotts Flat Road. It offers 169 campsites at two large campgrounds, plus a group camp. Across the lake, accessible via Red Dog and Quaker Hill Roads from Nevada City, is the Cascade Shores Day Use Area.
Scotts Flat is a popular spot for swimming, boating and water skiing
Rollins lake, located at the 2100-foot elevation off Highway 174 between Grass Valley and Colfax, has four independently operated campgrounds. Long Ravine, Greenhorn, Orchard Springs and Peninsula offer a combined 250 campsites and a complete range of services including stores, restaurants, fuel sales and rentals.
User fees at the public recreation areas are set by the NID Board of Directors and must be approved by the state departments of Water Resources and Fish & Game.
Sierra Mountain Campgrounds
In the mountains, NID maintains and operates campgrounds and recreational facilities in the Jackson Meadows – Bowman lake areas. Jackson Meadows features several campgrounds, picnic day use sites and boat ramps. Other campgrounds are located at Bowman, Canyon Creek, Sawmill and Faucherie Lakes in the Bowman corridor.
The primary recreation season in the high mountain areas generally runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day, depending on snow levels and weather.
Recreation Office Information
We are located at the Scotts Flat Lake Campgrounds
23333 Scotts Flat Road
Nevada City, CA 95959
Administration: (530) 265-8861
- NID Easter Egg Hunt Orchard Springs
- No Motor Day Scott’s Flat Lake– May
- 6th Annual NID Kids’ Triathlon Orchard Springs – TBA
- BSM (Barbara Schmidt Millar) Triathlon Cascade Shores– TBA
PLEASE NOTE: Fire restrictions may be imposed due to weather condition, PSPS events, power outages or poor air quality, at which time, campfires and charcoal fires will not be permitted. In severe cases, propane use may be restricted as well.*
Please see new COVID19 guidelines for camping and day use:
- Anyone coming on to our facilities will have to fill out a Release of Liability form
- If you are sick please stay home, you will receive a full refund
- Camping, boating and day use are with household members only
- Only one household should occupy each campsite.
- Do not congregate in other campsites, campers must stay to their own site
- Visitors should keep their face masks nearby, especially in the day use areas
- Maintain 6ft of distance from non-household members
- Playgrounds and store will be closed
- We will sell ice and wood at our gate houses
- Fuel will be sold at Long Ravine and Scotts Flat
- Bathrooms will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day
- Bring hand sanitizer