Jackson is an instream dam and lake at the head of Jackson Creek. It is part of the Jackson Creek and South Yuba Watershed.
Nearby towns are Sierra City (7.93 miles) and Graniteville (9.59 miles).
The dam was constructed in 1941-42 and is an earthen dam with a reservoir capacity of 1,330 acre-feet. The typical low level is 900 acre-feet.
NID holds pre-1914 water rights to store 1,330 acre-feet. The District maintains a required environmental flow release to Jackson Creek currently at 0.75 cubic feet per second.
There is no onsite power generation.